Rainbow Chex™ Mix
This sweet Chex™ mix recipe includes cereal coated in white chocolate rainbow colors and powdered sugar, with marshmallow “cloud” clusters. Arrange this fun snack for kids on a platter in the shape of a rainbow to wow your party guests—or combine this in a bowl for a colorful, shareable treat.
- 8 cups Rice Chex™ or Corn Chex™ cereal
- 1 1/4 cups white vanilla baking chips
- 3 cups miniature marshmallows
- 2 tablespoons blue nonpareils
- 1/2 cup each red, orange, yellow, green, blue and lavender candy melts or coating wafers (3 oz of each color)
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- Airheads Xtremes™ rainbow berry sweetly sour candy belts (cut into 1-inch pieces to make 1 cup, from two 3-oz packages) or 1 cup Airheads Xtremes™ rainbow berry soft & chewy candy bites (from 9-oz package)
- 1/2 Cup Calories 190 (Calories from Fat 60); Total Fat 7g (Saturated Fat 6g, Trans Fat 0g); Cholesterol 0mg; Sodium 95mg; Total Carbohydrate 32g (Dietary Fiber 0g, Sugars 23g); Protein 1g
- % Daily Value: Vitamin A 2%; Vitamin C 0%; Calcium 4%; Iron 15%;
- Exchanges: 1/2 Starch, 1 1/2 Other Carbohydrate, 1 1/2 Fat
- Carbohydrate Choice: 2
- Line 2 large rimmed baking pans with waxed paper. Divide cereal (1 1/3 cups each) into 6 separate small bowls.
- In small microwavable bowl, microwave white vanilla baking chips uncovered on High 30 seconds; stir. Continue microwaving in 15-second increments, stirring after each, just until chips are starting to melt and can be stirred smooth. Stir in marshmallows; coat completely. Spread in one of the pans, spreading marshmallows into small clusters. Immediately sprinkle with nonpareils; set aside.
- In small microwavable bowl, add red candy melts. Microwave uncovered on Medium (50%) 45 seconds, then in 15-second increments, until melted; stir until smooth. Pour melted candy onto cereal in one of the bowls, stirring to evenly coat. Gradually add 1/4 cup powdered sugar, and stir until well coated; transfer to remaining pan, organizing by rows of color to keep separate.
- Repeat for remaining colored candy melts, cereal and powdered sugar. (Use separate microwavable bowls for microwaving each color candy melt.) Let stand about 15 minutes or until coating is set.
- Carefully separate cooled marshmallows into small clusters. In large serving bowl, mix cereals, marshmallow clusters and rainbow candy. Store at room temperature in covered container.
- Having a party? For a fun presentation, arrange coated cereal on large platter in shape of a rainbow, lining the cereal in rows of red, orange, yellow, green, blue and purple. Add marshmallow clusters on either end of the rainbow to look like clouds. Add a row of rainbow candies, or serve them separately on the side, with a bowl of gold candy-coated chocolate candy balls to look like a pot of gold!
- If you prefer, transfer each color of the coated cereal separately to a resealable food-storage plastic bag, and add powdered sugar; seal bag, and shake to coat cereal.
- Candy melts or coating wafers are sold in many different colors and are commonly found in craft stores as well as some big box retailer stores. Feel free to pick your favorites, and create your own colorful mix.
- If melted white chips are too hot, you may need to cool slightly before adding marshmallows to coat.