Gluten-Free Caramel Chex™ Mix
Make a batch of this sweet and crunchy snack mix for family camping or a family reunion—it’s always a hit!
- 4 1/2 cups Rice Chex™ cereal
- 4 1/2 cups Corn Chex™ cereal
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, cut up
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup gluten-free candy-coated chocolate candies
- Serving Size: Calories 200 (Calories from Fat 60); Total Fat 7g (Saturated Fat 4 1/2g, Trans Fat 0g); Cholesterol 15mg; Sodium 160mg; Total Carbohydrate 32g (Dietary Fiber 1g, Sugars 21g); Protein 1g
- % Daily Value*: Vitamin A 8%; Vitamin C 4%; Calcium 6%; Iron 20%
- Exchanges: 1 1/2 Other Carbohydrate; 0 Vegetable; 0 High-Fat Meat; 2 Carbohydrate Choice
- MyPyramid Servings: 1 tsp Fats & Oils; 0 oz-eq Grains; 0 oz-eq Meat & Beans
- *% Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
- In large microwavable bowl, place cereals.
- In 2-cup microwavable measuring cup, microwave brown sugar, granulated sugar, butter and water uncovered on High about 2 minutes, stirring after 1 minute, until melted and smooth. Stir in baking soda until dissolved. Pour over cereal, stirring until evenly coated.
- Microwave uncovered on High 5 to 6 minutes, stirring and scraping bowl after every minute, just until cereal begins to brown. Spread on waxed paper. Cool 5 minutes; stir in candies. Cool completely, about 10 minutes. Store in airtight container.
- Healthy: Always read labels to make sure each recipe ingredient is gluten free. Products and ingredient sources can change.
- Techniques: How hard should you pack brown sugar? Press it into a measuring cup firmly so it holds its shape when tipped out.