Gluten-Free Sweet Chili and Pepita Cereal Bars
These cereal bars have just the right balance of spicy and sweet. They’re great for an on-the-go snack.
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 4 cups Cinnamon Chex™ cereal, coarsely crushed
- 1/2 cup roasted and salted pepitas
- Serving Size: Calories 140 (Calories from Fat 60); Total Fat 6g (Saturated Fat 2 1/2g, Trans Fat 0g); Cholesterol 10mg; Sodium 100mg; Total Carbohydrate 19g (Dietary Fiber 0g, Sugars 13g); Protein 1g
- % Daily Value*: Vitamin A 8%; Vitamin C 4%; Calcium 4%; Iron 15%
- Exchanges: 1 Other Carbohydrate; 0 Vegetable; 0 High-Fat Meat; 1 Carbohydrate Choice
- MyPyramid Servings: 1 tsp Fats & Oils; 0 oz-eq Grains; 0 oz-eq Meat & Beans *% Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
- Grease bottom and sides of 8-inch square pan with cooking spray or butter.
- In 2-quart saucepan, heat brown sugar, butter, honey and pepper flakes to boiling over medium heat, stirring constantly. Boil 1 minute, stirring constantly; remove from heat.
- In medium bowl, add crushed cereal and pepitas; pour honey mixture over cereal mixture, and stir to coat.
- Press mixture firmly in pan with greased hands or back of wooden spoon. Cool completely, at least 3 hours. For bars, cut into 4 rows by 4 rows. Store covered at room temperature.
- Method Note: To crush cereal, place cereal in resealable food-storage plastic bag, and crush with hands or rolling pin.
- Variation: Adjust heat intensity of these bars by going up or down in amount of crushed red pepper flakes.
- Storage: Bars can also be stored covered in refrigerator.
- Healthy: Always read labels to make sure each recipe ingredient is gluten free. Products and ingredient sources can change.