Gluten-Free Chili-Chocolate Cereal Bars
Sweet meets spicy in these gooey chili Chocolate Chex™ cereal treats.
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 bag (10 oz) large marshmallows or 4 cups miniature marshmallows
- 8 cups Chocolate Chex™ cereal
- 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Serving Size: Calories 170 (Calories from Fat 45); Total Fat 5g (Saturated Fat 2 1/2g, Trans Fat 0g); Cholesterol 5mg; Sodium 150mg; Total Carbohydrate 30g (Dietary Fiber 0g, Sugars 15g); Protein 1g
- % Daily Value*: Vitamin A 8%; Vitamin C 6%; Calcium 6%; Iron 25%
- Exchanges: 1 1/2 Other Carbohydrate; 0 Vegetable; 0 High-Fat Meat; 2 Carbohydrate Choice
- MyPyramid Servings: 1 tsp Fats & Oils; 0 oz-eq Grains; 0 oz-eq Meat & Beans *% Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
- Spray 13x9-inch pan with cooking spray.
- In large microwavable bowl, microwave butter uncovered on High about 45 seconds or until melted. Add marshmallows; toss to coat. Microwave 1 to 1 1/2 minutes longer. Stir until marshmallows are completely melted and mixture is well blended.
- Add cereal, red pepper and cinnamon; mix well. Using waxed paper or spatula sprayed with cooking spray, press mixture evenly in pan. Cool 15 minutes.
- In small microwavable bowl, microwave chocolate chips uncovered on High 30 to 60 seconds. Stir until smooth. Spoon melted chocolate into resealable food-storage plastic bag. Cut small corner off bag, and pipe chocolate on top of bars. Refrigerate 5 to 10 minutes or until chocolate is set.
- For bars, cut into 6 rows by 3 rows.
- Variation: Increase red pepper to 1 teaspoon for even more heat.
- Storage: Store in airtight container at room temperature.
- Healthy: Always read labels to make sure each recipe ingredient is gluten free. Products and ingredient sources can change.