Brown Sugar Spice Chex™ Mix
Craving cookies? You’ll have all the same flavors of a brown sugar-spice cookie in this fun party mix, plus the crunch of cereal!
- 6 cups Vanilla Chex™ cereal
- 1/2 cup gluten-free whole roasted almonds
- 1/2 cup gluten-free whole roasted cashews
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons water
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 cup gluten-free yogurt-covered cranberries or yogurt-covered raisins
- Serving Size: Calories 170 (Calories from Fat 70); Total Fat 8g (Saturated Fat 2 1/2g, Trans Fat 0g); Cholesterol 0mg; Sodium 170mg; Total Carbohydrate 24g (Dietary Fiber 1g, Sugars 13g); Protein 2g
- % Daily Value*: Vitamin A 6%; Vitamin C 2%; Calcium 8%; Iron 30%
- Exchanges: 1 Other Carbohydrate; 0 Vegetable; 0 High-Fat Meat; 1 1/2 Carbohydrate Choice
- MyPyramid Servings: 0 tsp Fats & Oils; 0 oz-eq Grains; 1 oz-eq Meat & Beans *% Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
- In large microwavable bowl, measure cereal and nuts; set aside. Line cookie sheet with waxed paper.
- In 2-cup microwavable measuring cup, microwave butter uncovered on High 30 seconds; stir and microwave 30 to 60 seconds longer or until melted. Stir in brown sugar, granulated sugar, water and spices. Microwave 30 seconds or until boiling. Pour over cereal mixture, stirring until evenly coated.
- Microwave uncovered on High 3 minutes, stirring every minute, until mixture is glazed. Cool 5 minutes; stir in cranberries. Spread on cookie sheet to cool. Store in airtight container.
- Substitution: If you have a hard time finding roasted cashews and almonds separately, you can just use 1 cup mixed nuts instead. Any nut will be very tasty in this sweet and spicy mix.
- Healthy: Always read labels to make sure each recipe ingredient is gluten free. Products and ingredient sources can change.