Apple Pie Chex™ Mix
How ’bout them apples? Cinnamon Chex™ adds a festive flavor to this fun fall snack.
- 3 cups Cinnamon Chex™ cereal
- 3 cups Rice Chex™ cereal
- 1 cup walnut pieces
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups dried or freeze-dried apples, coarsely chopped if necessary
- 1 cup white vanilla baking chips (6 oz)
- 1 teaspoon shortening
- Serving Size: Calories 190 (Calories from Fat 70); Total Fat 8g (Saturated Fat 4g, Trans Fat 0g); Cholesterol 5mg; Sodium 115mg; Total Carbohydrate 27g (Dietary Fiber 1g, Sugars 17g); Protein 2g
- % Daily Value*: Vitamin A 6%; Vitamin C 0%; Calcium 6%; Iron 15%
- Exchanges: 1 1/2 Other Carbohydrate; 0 Vegetable; 0 High-Fat Meat; 2 Carbohydrate Choice
- MyPyramid Servings: 1 tsp Fats & Oils; 0 oz-eq Grains; 0 oz-eq Meat & Beans *% Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
- In large microwavable bowl, mix cereals and walnuts.
- In 2-cup microwavable measuring cup, microwave butter on High 30 seconds or until melted. Stir in brown sugar, cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg uncovered for about 1 minute, until smooth and bubbly. Pour over cereal mixture; stir until evenly coated.
- Microwave uncovered on High 4 minutes, stirring after each minute. Spread on waxed paper or foil to cool. Sprinkle apples evenly over cereal mixture.
- In small microwavable bowl, microwave white vanilla baking chips and shortening uncovered on High about 1 minute or until chips can be stirred smooth. Drizzle over cereal mixture; let stand until set. Break into bite-size pieces. Store in airtight container.
- Recipe/Ingredient Facts: Freeze-drying is another method of dehydrating. Freeze-dried apples will be crispier and lighter because they contain less moisture than regular dried apples.
- Techniques: For easy drizzling, spoon the melted white vanilla baking chips into a small food-storage bag. Snip off one tiny bottom corner and squeeze the melted chips over the cereal mixture.