Unicorn Chex™ Mix
This magical shimmery mix is as beautiful as it is delicious—and perfect for your next unicorn party. Sweet clusters of drizzled Chex™ cereal are sprayed with edible glitter shimmer and mixed with sweet and salty Bugles™ unicorn horns and marshmallows—making for a fairy-tale snack for kids.
- 6 cups Rice Chex™ or Corn Chex™ cereal
- 3 cups white vanilla baking chips (from two 12-oz bags)
- 1 1/2 cups Bugles™ corn snacks
- 1/4 cup pink, blue or purple decorating sugar
- Gold color mist shimmering food color spray (from 1.5-oz spray can)
- 1/4 cup each pink, blue and purple candy melts or coating wafers (about 1 1/2 oz of each color)
- 3 tablespoons multicolored pastel sprinkle blend
- 1 cup marshmallow pole twist candy, cut into 2-inch pieces, if desired
- 1/2 Cup Calories 160 (Calories from Fat 60); Total Fat 7g (Saturated Fat 6g, Trans Fat 0g); Cholesterol 0mg; Sodium 110mg; Total Carbohydrate 22g (Dietary Fiber 0g, Sugars 16g); Protein 2g
- % Daily Value: Vitamin A 2%; Vitamin C 0%; Calcium 6%; Iron 10%;
- Exchanges: 1/2 Starch, 1 Other Carbohydrate, 1 1/2 Fat
- Carbohydrate Choice: 1.5
- Line 2 large rimmed baking pans with waxed paper. In large bowl, add cereal.
- In small microwavable bowl, microwave 1 cup of the baking chips uncovered on High 45 seconds, stir. Continue microwaving in 15-second increments, stirring after each, until chips are melted and can be stirred smooth. One at a time, dip pointed end of each corn snack into melted chips, and coat outside completely, allowing excess coating to drip off. (If necessary, reheat mixture 5 seconds at a time as needed for dipping consistency.) Sprinkle coated snacks with decorating sugar, and place on one of the pans in single layer; set aside.
- Add remaining 2 cups baking chips to bowl with remaining melted chips; microwave uncovered on High 45 seconds; stir. Continue microwaving in 15-second increments, stirring after each, until chips are melted and can be stirred smooth. Pour onto cereal in bowl; mix thoroughly to coat. Transfer mixture to one of the pans in single layer. Let stand 20 minutes. Spray top with food color spray.
- In small microwavable bowl, add pink candy melts. Microwave uncovered on Medium (50%) 30 seconds, then in 15-second increments, until melted; stir until smooth. Using fork, drizzle melted candy onto coated cereal in pan; sprinkle with 1 tablespoon of the sprinkles. Repeat using remaining colored candy melts and sprinkles. (Use separate microwavable bowl for microwaving each color candy melt.) Let stand about 20 minutes or until drizzle is set. Carefully separate into bite-size pieces.
- In large serving bowl, mix coated cereal, corn snacks and marshmallow candy pieces. Store at room temperature in covered container.
- Food color spray can be found at specialty craft stores or some large grocery stores.
- We used a fun sprinkle mix with varied sprinkles (stars, jimmies, pearls) to make the mix full of unicorn magic! There are many fun mixes found at grocery stores, specialty craft stores and big retail stores.
- Use forks, metal or wooden skewers to help when coating the Bugles™ corn snacks.