Red, White, and Blue Muddy Buddies™
This classic chocolate, peanut butter and powdered sugar mix has been a part of families’ kitchens for years. An easy snack for kids to make, this quick recipe can be customized for any occasion, transforming Chex™ cereal into a delicious treat in just 15 minutes. We call it Muddy Buddies™, but you may hear it called by different names as a nod to its resemblance to puppy food. We don’t blame you, it’s doggone good!
- 9 cups Rice Chex™, Corn Chex™ or Chocolate Chex™ cereal (or combination)
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup peanut butter
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 cup holiday chocolate candies
- Serving Size: Calories 210 (Calories from Fat 80); Total Fat 9g (Saturated Fat 4g, Trans Fat 0g); Cholesterol 5mg; Sodium 170mg; Total Carbohydrate 29g (Dietary Fiber 1g, Sugars 16g); Protein 3g
- % Daily Value*: Vitamin A 6%; Vitamin C 6%; Calcium 6%; Iron 25%
- Exchanges: 1 Other Carbohydrate; 0 Vegetable; 0 High-Fat Meat; 2 Carbohydrate Choice
- MyPyramid Servings: 1 tsp Fats & Oils; 0 oz-eq Grains; 0 oz-eq Meat & Beans
- *% Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
- Into large bowl, measure cereal; set aside.
- In 1-quart microwavable bowl, microwave chocolate chips, peanut butter and butter uncovered on High 1 minute; stir. Microwave about 30 seconds longer or until mixture can be stirred smooth. Stir in vanilla. Pour mixture over cereal, stirring until evenly coated. Pour into 2-gallon resealable food-storage plastic bag.
Add powdered sugar. Seal bag; shake until well coated. Spread on waxed paper to cool. Store in airtight container in refrigerator.
- Healthy: Always read labels to make sure each recipe ingredient is gluten free. Products and ingredient sources can change.
- Substitution: Peanut butter and chocolate are a favorite flavor combo, but peanut butter lovers can substitute peanut butter chips for the chocolate chips to intensify that flavor.