- 8 cups Rice Chex™ or Corn Chex™ cereal
- 1 jar (7 oz) marshmallow creme
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup white vanilla baking chips
- 1/2 cup vanilla creamy ready-to-spread frosting (from 16-oz container)
- 5 teaspoons multicolored nonpareils
- 1/2 cup colored (red, blue or pink) candy melts or coating wafers (3 oz)
- 1/2 cup pretzel sticks
- 2 tablespoons yellow candy melts or coating wafers
- 1 cup birthday cake graham snacks
- Line 2 large rimmed baking pans with waxed paper; spray with cooking spray. Spray large microwavable bowl with cooking spray; add cereal.
- In medium microwavable bowl, microwave marshmallow creme, butter and baking chips uncovered on High 1 minute, stirring after 30 seconds, until mixture is melted and can be stirred smooth. Add frosting to bowl. If necessary, microwave an additional 15 to 30 seconds or until frosting can be stirred into mixture.
- Pour over cereal in bowl, stirring well. Microwave mixture uncovered on High 2 to 3 minutes, stirring every minute, until mixture is well coated. Sprinkle with nonpareils, mixing well. Spread cereal mixture in one of the pans, slightly separating cereal pieces; cool 30 minutes. Break into bite-size clusters, and set aside.
- To make birthday candles, in 1-cup glass measuring cup, add 1/2 cup colored (red, blue or pink) candy melts. Microwave uncovered on Medium (50% ) 45 seconds, then in 15-second increments, until melted; stir until smooth. Using your hand, dip the length of each pretzel into melted candy to coat (leaving about 1/4 inch uncoated on one end). Tap to shake excess coating from pretzel; place in remaining pan until set, about 20 minutes.
- In small microwavable bowl, microwave yellow candy melts uncovered on Medium (50%) 30 seconds, then in 15-second increments, until melted; stir until smooth. Dip uncoated end of each pretzel into melted candy to coat tip (about 1/2-inch) to look like flame of candle. Return to pan until set, about 20 minutes.
- In large serving bowl, mix coated cereal pieces, graham snacks and half of the pretzels. Garnish with remaining pretzels. Store at room temperature in covered container.
- Store in covered container up to 2 days.
- Have fun with the birthday candle pretzels. Use a variety of colors to add visual interest.
- Birthday cake graham snacks are sold in different shapes, such as bunnies, bears and goldfish.
1/2 Cup Calories 150 (Calories from Fat 40); Total Fat 4.5g (Saturated Fat 3g, Trans Fat 0g); Cholesterol 0mg; Sodium 140mg; Total Carbohydrate 26g (Dietary Fiber 0g, Sugars 13g); Protein 1g
% Daily Value: Vitamin A 4%; Vitamin C 0%; Calcium 6%; Iron 20%;
Exchanges: 1/2 Starch, 1 Other Carbohydrate, 1 Fat
Carbohydrate Choice: 2