Holiday Hot Chocolate Chex™ Mix
Hot! Hot! Ooh we got it! This festive snack mix is the next best thing to drinking a warm cup of hot chocolate on a cold winter day. Chex™ cereal is covered in melted chocolate chips and coated in a powdered sugar and hot cocoa mixture, then tossed with clusters of marshmallows and chocolate nonpareils. Enjoy it plain or with a peppermint twist!
- 4 cups Rice Chex™ or Corn Chex™ cereal
- 4 cups Chocolate Chex™ cereal
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup hot cocoa mix
- 1 bag (12 oz) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup white vanilla baking chips
- 2 cups miniature marshmallows
- 1 cup semisweet chocolate nonpareils
- Serving Size (1/2 Cup): Calories 200 (Calories from Fat 60); Total Fat 7g (Saturated Fat 4.5g, Trans Fat 0g); Cholesterol 0mg; Sodium 105mg; Total Carbohydrate 33g (Dietary Fiber 1g, Sugars 23g); Protein 2g
- % Daily Value: Vitamin A 4%; Vitamin C 0%; Calcium 6%; Iron 20%;
- Exchanges: 1/2 Starch, 1 1/2 Other Carbohydrate, 1 1/2 Fat
- Carbohydrate Choice: 2
- Line 2 large rimmed baking pans with waxed paper. In large bowl, mix cereals. In small bowl, mix powdered sugar and cocoa mix.
- In small microwavable bowl, microwave semisweet chocolate chips uncovered on High 45 seconds; stir. Continue microwaving in 15-second increments, stirring after each, until chips are melted and smooth. Pour onto cereal in bowl; mix thoroughly to coat. Transfer mixture to 2-gallon resealable food-storage plastic bag; add powdered sugar mix to bag. Seal bag; shake to coat. Spread in one of the pans to cool completely, about 30 minutes.
- In small microwavable bowl, microwave white vanilla baking chips uncovered on High 30 seconds; stir. Continue microwaving in 15-second increments, stirring after each, just until chips are starting to melt and can be stirred smooth. Stir in marshmallows; coat completely. Spread in remaining pan, spreading mini marshmallows into small clusters; let stand about 30 minutes or until coating is set.
- In large serving bowl, mix cereal, marshmallow clusters and chocolate nonpareils. Store at room temperature in covered container.
- Add a peppermint twist to your mix by stirring in 1/2 cup crushed peppermint candy.
- Want more chocolate flavor? Add 1/2 cup chocolate chunks to your mix.
- Chocolate nonpareils come in a small and larger size. We used the larger size in this mix. They are about 1 inch in diameter and can be purchased in the bulk candy section of the grocery store. The smaller size can be found in the boxed movie theater candy section and are commonly referred to as Sno-Caps™.
- If melted white vanilla baking chips are too hot, you may need to cool slightly before adding marshmallows to coat.